Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Problem Among Calvinists

I do not admit to be an expert on this subject, but I am merely going to comment upon what I have seen and observed over the past few months.

I live with an individual who has confessed and taken great pride in being a Calvinist. For one thing, I believe that he misunderstands the full implications of this claim. While Calvin was an incredibly smart individual who had many contributions to the world, he was still a mere mortal. Therefore, he had many flaws. For one, he believed in baptizing babies. I doubt that my friend and roommate would agree with this belief. The early church father, Cyprian, explained that infant baptism excused the infant from sins. Basically, it was the act of baptism and not the death and resurrection of Jesus that saved. A true-Calvinist agrees with Calvin's belief in infant baptism. Many so-called Calvinists are wrong to call themselves Calvinists. Reformed-Christian, Biblicist, or follower of Christ would be a more accurate label.

The following assertions will be easy to misunderstand. I am in no way denying the sovereignty of God. I say that in order that you do not misunderstand me. There is nothing and no one more powerful than God. He is the measure for all things, and no one can or will control Him. Proverbs 16:9 says this, "The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps." God is in control of our lives whether we like it or not. We may want to do many amazing things, but, in the end, God decides what we end up doing. He is sovereign over all things, and nothing is outside of His control. However, it is wrong of us to assert the sovereignty of God and then give up. We have been commanded to be holy as the Lord our God is holy (Lev 11:44; I Peter 1:15; etc); therefore, we are responsible for our actions. Yes, you can go ahead and say that we are sinful beyond measure and that our hearts are deceitful from birth. I agree with you! I am probably one of the most sinful people I have ever met. I realize that I sin because I am a sinner. BUT I have been given the Spirit of redemption. The kindness of God has led me to repentance. I am a new creation. I have been transform and cleansed by the blood of the Lamb. I am being changed little by little. These changes have made me capable of obeying the Lord, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus Christ. I am responsible for the things that I do; if I'm not responsible for my actions, why does I Corinthians 3 and many other passages tell us that we will be judged for every deed done in the body? God has given me the ability to overcome, to resist, and to abandon sin. Galatians 5:1 says, "For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery." We are to fight with every fiber of our being in order that we be found pure and without reproach upon the return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Therefore, it is a sin to say, "God is sovereign," and then move on and continue in sin. When we do this, it's almost as if we believe that God desires for us to sin. How can God desire us to sin when He sent Jesus to die for sin? How can God desire for us to sin when He despises sin? "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10). We have not been born of God to do the will of Satan, but we have been born of God in order to do the works of God, who is our Father. Therefore, we must never proclaim the sovereignty of God in a way that defames, belittles, and defiles the name of God.

So, let me sum up. Don't call yourself a Calvinist if you disagree with infant baptism, and don't use the sovereignty of God as an excuse for sin.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Very well spoken. WElcom to Blogger. It's addictive, I tell you. :-)

Mark said...

I think two things are equally clear in Scripture. 1) God is absolutely sovereign. 2) Humans are responsible for their actions.
Tons of verses could be given, but here is one of my favorites.

Philippians 2:12-13- Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

We are commanded to work out our salvation, yet we are told that God is the one at work in us to will and work for His good pleasure.

In reference to self-proclaimed Calvinists claiming a license to sin, I think they have forgotten what kind of calling God gives.

2 Timothy 1:9- Who saved us and called us to a HOLY calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began.

God calls His children with a holy calling. If a so-called believer lives as if he has a license to sin then I question his calling in the first place.

Very good blog.

evel said...

You are right Mark. We are told to walk worthy of our calling. We are also called ambassadors of Christ. How do we represent Jesus with our everyday lives? Do we live a life that says that He is evil? Then we are living wrongly.

I Peter 2:16-Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God.

We have been set free from sin because of the blood of Jesus. We are no longer slaves to our former lusts, but Jesus has changed our passions. We don't have to sin anymore. I'm not saying that we are perfect, because we are not. I'm saying that we are pure and should live like it and not make excuses when we mess up. We should try not to make the same mistakes twice.